Fox Islands Outing Club
Launched in the Fall of 2016 by NHCP, the Fox Islands Outing Club (FIOC) is a program open to community children and teenagers from the Fox Island communities. The goals of the program are:
- Provide a safe and structured setting(s) for kids to thrive and learn in the outdoors
- Increase self confidence and self reliance through outdoor physical challenges and play
- Support and respect one another while developing teamwork skills
- Increase participants knowledge and appreciation of the outdoors
- Learn outdoor skills while instilling a sense of adventure and wonder
Safety of participants is a priority of the program. This includes their physical and emotional well being. Program leaders will encourage participating kids to challenge themselves and seek adventure. This may involve thoughtful, but not excessive, risk taking. For some this may mean hiking an extra ½ mile while for older aged kids it might mean a weekend of winter camping in challenging weather conditions. In each instance, program leaders will stress preparation, teamwork and reliance on newly acquired skills.
Click here to sign up and become a member of the Fox Islands Outing Club
Click here for further logistical details about the Fox Island Outing Club
Amilia Campbell (certified EMT) and Andrew May (CPR trained) are the adult leaders and supervisors for the 2016-2017 season.
As NHCP gathers resources for the Fox Islands Outing Club, we intend on building an inventory of equipment, appropriate clothing and winter boots to lend to participants on an as needed basis. The right clothing and gear can make all the difference in a person’s enjoyment and safety in a variety of weather conditions.
FIOC will not cancel any session due to weather conditions, save a hurricane or lightning storm.
Kids who sign up fall into one of the following four age groups and meet at noon on their given Friday at the North Haven Community School:
- Thoroughfaries, Grades K,1, 2
- Mullins Headers, Grades 3,4
- Ames Knobbers, Grades 5, 6,7,8
- Burnt Islanders, Grades 9,10,11, 12